Re: [Nmh-workers] proposed patch for shell metacharacter failure in nmh-1.7

2018-01-20 12:59:35
#  fixdate -- fix the time zone on a Date: header in an email message

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but ... why do you care what the
timezone is in your Date: headers?

If you want them to appear in your local timezone when they are displayed,
that is trivial to do with mh-format(5) (and this is not some nmh extension,
AFAIK this has been a feature of MH for a long time).  You want to use
the %(date2local) function, e.g:

% scan -format '%(date2local{date})%(tws{date})' NNN

should always show the date in your local timezone.  As long as you sprinkle
a %(date2local{date}) before you display information from a Date header,
the right thing should happen.  And in terms of sorting or other uses,
nmh should always handle the timezone properly.  If it does not I would
like to hear about it.

Obviously there are differing opinions about what information you want
displayed in terms of date information; some people want it displayed
based on the sender's timezone, and others prefer it in their local timezone.
I am neutral on what makes sense, but I think we have the tools already
to do whatever you want.

Nmh-workers