Re: [nmh-workers] Unnecessary dependency on vi???

2018-03-11 13:15:30
Hi Jon,

Things always get weird as one's installed distribution gets crusty.
My Fedora Core 27 installation

What is Fedora Core 27?  :-)  Fedora 26 is the latest version, so 27
might be Fedora Devel, but then you said it's crusty as if the 27 is a
typo for something older, but they stopped calling it Core with Core 6,
which is very crusty;  2006.

I think that a run-time error message of the form "No editor defined.
Set EDITOR or VISUAL in your environment , or Editor in your
.mh_profile" is a better way to go.

It would be nice to see what you're seeing.

Using $VISUAL, $EDITOR, then `vi', as Ken said, is fine, but should not
create a packaging `requires' on a `vi', or even a `suggests' IMO.  As
Paul said, the error message when running vi fails just needs to be
clear.  I imagine Emacs users out there would not like to have to
install vi just for this;  imagine if it was the other way around.  :-)

--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy