Re: [nmh-workers] Unnecessary dependency on vi???

2018-03-19 19:14:23
    Date:        Mon, 19 Mar 2018 15:29:30 -0400
    From:        Ken Hornstein <kenh(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com>

  | So since you were there ... I never did understand the point (or the
  | distinction) between VISUAL and EDITOR.

Paul's explanation seems right to me - commands like Mail had two "run an
editor" commands, so the user could choose what kind of editor they wanted
to run (and initially, so different users could pick the editing style of their
choice).    Once env vars existed, and could be put to use to allow the user
to select which editor to run, I guess it just made sense to use a different
one for each of the commands (editing styles) that existed.   But, for me, this
is guesswork, I was never part of any discussions (if there were any) on this.

kre