Re: [nmh-workers] Unnecessary dependency on vi???

2018-03-17 11:43:51
Thus said Paul Vixie on Sat, 17 Mar 2018 08:55:41 -0700:

i have  not run  comp without  first setting VISUAL  for at  least two
decades, but  when i used  to do this, it  would print a  message like
"type your message  below, and then hit control-D" and  then read from
standard input. when did that change to requiring an external editor?

I generally don't set VISUAL or EDITOR unless I absolutely have to (e.g.
on Ubuntu  which defaults to  nano) as I generally  expect vi to  be the
default.

$ set | grep -E '(EDITOR|VISUAL)'
$ echo $?
1