Re: [nmh-workers] Construction of outgoing from line

2019-03-14 08:36:36
I'm trying to get my outgoing email to be user@mydomain.tld again (I had a
machine crash).
On the crashed machine it worked fine with the following atop my components
file

     %<(void(localmbox))%>%(void(width))%(putaddr From: )

Mail sent from the new machine, which I'm trying to make identical to the
crashed machine, arrives with a from line like user@myhost.mydomain.tld and
I want the myhost part to be gone. I messed with postfix for a bit,
thinking "myorigin" might be messed up.

Nmh has, pretty much from the beginning of time, mostly used the same
algorithm to generate the local mailbox.  If you look at mh-format(5),
you can see how this is constructed and how to change it.  There are a
couple ways to modify nmh's behavior to do what you want; what you'll
want to pick is really up to your personal preference (I personally
use Local-Mailbox, but really, there are a few ways).

Using /bin/mail, which is a link to mailx, I get the right behavior, and
postfix is fine.

I am wondering how mailx would have any idea that it needs to strip out
the hostname?  It wouldn't be set up to do that automatically.