Re: [nmh-workers] Removing message/partial support

2019-04-23 15:06:27
On Tue, 23 Apr 2019 13:34:26 -0400, Ken Hornstein said:
As discussed here:

      https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/nmh-workers/2019-02/msg00035.html

Currently our message/partial support does not work.  I believe fixing
it is straightforward, but given the links that David posted in that
thread and my own research, almost no other MUAs support it and it is
probably blocked by most mail providers due to concerns about viruses
and spam.  Can anyone think of a reason to keep it?  I suggest removing
all support for it, on both sender and receiver sides.

I can't remember if I followed up or not, but over on the ietf-822 list there
were 3 or 4 products mentioned that had code but shipped with the ability
configured
disabled.  Gnus seems to be the largest user base that would potentially handle
a message/partial either incoming or outbound.  This implies "It's only of use
if
you already know a priori that your recipient is running an uncommon mail
stack".

(Further research shows that I was probably incorrect in saying that exmh can't
handle reassembling a message/partial - further looking at the code indicates
that if 'mhstore' is able to deal with the message fragments not being in
order, it should work, but I haven't tested it.  There's zero support for
passing -split to 'send'.