Re: [nmh-workers] FSF is changing Mailman list settings unless you opt out (fwd)

2019-09-27 12:37:05
hymie! wrote in <20190927142152.GA21834@alfred.local.net>:
 |On Fri, Sep 27, 2019 at 02:54:14AM -0700, Paul Vixie wrote:
 |> Ken Hornstein wrote on 2019-09-26 09:36:
 |>> I received this email, and I wanted to pass it along.  The executive
 |>> summary is: in the near future subject lines to nmh-workers will no
 |>> longer be prefixed with "[nmh-workers]" and there won't be a footer
 |>> at the end of the message anyone saying that this is the nmh-workers
 |>> mailing list.
 |>
 |> yahoo is way off the reservation with this. they aren't growing fast \
 |> enough
 |> for me to care which of their users can't join mailing lists i operate \
 |> -- so
 |> my first mover advantage dominates the outcome.
 |
 |Unfortunately, Yahoo isn't the only culrpit. More and more servers are
 |honoring DMARC.  I, for example, keep my email on my own server at home,
 |but because my ISP blocks port 25, I have to hire a third party to
 |receive and re-send my email for me, both incoming and outgoing.  I'm
 |(mostly) at their mercy for things like spam filters and DMARC, and
 |(at least right now) I'm not in a position to find a new company
 |if I decide I'm not crazy about their policies.
 |
 |I appreciate your opinion, but remember to look at it from the other
 |side -- what is the point of a mailing list if you're the only person
 |left who can access it?

But that makes me wonder a bit: how much does that cost?
Isn't it cheaper to rent the smallest possible vserver, and simply
mirror the local server, then adjust one line of configuration, or
two?

--steffen