Re: mhfixmsg: possible bugette, -textcharset/-replacetextplain questions

2020-01-22 09:22:10
Conrad>  - [..] is there any reason not to use "-textcharset utf-8" on
Conrad>    everything?

Ken> If you want to convert everything to UTF-8 that is of course your
Ken> business,

Mini coda to the above thread, just for the record:

My thinking at the time was "I use grep to search email but that doesn't
work well with base64 stuff etc., so I should mhfixmsg them so grep
works, but also I periodically archive large folders to .mmdf, and so
I'm bound to end up with mixed 1252/8859-1/UTF-8 .mmdfs, and surely
that'll be a mess".

In the end I tried mairix and think I'm fairly happy with it so have
paused the mass-mhfixmsg project for the time being.  Might yet be
tempted to resume it because mairix spews line noise which banjaxes my
terminal while it indexes some messages, and I assume that's encoding-
related.  Hardly a showstopper though.

Conrad