Re: multiply linked emails

2020-05-29 13:41:25
Some thoughts:
 1) could it leave the FCC: in place, while still removing it from the
    outgoing email?
    (Yes, this is among the meta-data that we keep wanting to store. ARGH.
    I keep thinking we should store all email as message of meta-data,
    containing a message/rfc822 content...)

That ... might have unexpected side effects.

If you were to dist that message to someone else, it would get refiled again.
Oh, hm, maybe not, depending on how interaction between dist(1) and
post(8) worked.

But I feel that Fcc is an instruction to post(8), and it's not actually
metadata we should rely on; like, if the filesystem doesn't support hard
links then it wouldn't be correct.

 2) would it be reasonable to have a mh-format that returned the number of
    hard links so that I could see in my scan that it was also stored
    elsewhere?

That should be relatively straightforward, although it sounds like a bunch
of layer violations to me (not that we really have many layers in nmh,
but we should!).  Again, it has limited utility if the filesystem doesn't
support hard links.