Re: multiply linked emails

2020-05-30 17:23:03
On Fri, 29 May 2020 14:41:05 -0400, Ken Hornstein said:

 2) would it be reasonable to have a mh-format that returned the number of
    hard links so that I could see in my scan that it was also stored
    elsewhere?

That should be relatively straightforward, although it sounds like a bunch
of layer violations to me (not that we really have many layers in nmh,
but we should!).  Again, it has limited utility if the filesystem doesn't
support hard links.

Well, if the system is Unixoid enough to *have* a stat() system call, and you
stat() a file on a file system that doesn't support multiple hard links, it
will just set the stat.st_nlink field to 1.  And I'm going to make a guess that
most nmh users are using a sane filesystem that does have multiple links.

The bigger thing will be bulletproofing it for things like the purported file
actually being a directory or a symlink or other non-file entity.