Re: sorting uniquely by message-id

2020-09-19 17:04:51

spaceman <spaceman@antispaceman.com> wrote:
    > Michael Richardson wrote:
    >>
    >> Due to the way that IETF lists and aliases work, I often get two, three
    >> sometimes four copies of an email.  I attach a mh-e view of a thread
below.
    >> I really want to just keep the copy that went through the list, because
    >> that's the one that went into the public archive, and replies will work
    >> better on that version.
    >>

    > I might be completely off the bat here, but wouldn’t something like
    > formail (part of procmail) solve the probem of duplicates instead of
    > trying to hack a system of perl.

Yes, assuming that it could operate over multiple days receiving email from a
variety of directions, and which arrive possibly through different mailboxes.
The direct emails can arrive long before the mailing list copy, or could be
delayed by spam/graylisting.

Generally, I wouldn't want to run this all the time, which procmail would force.