Re: check if message is in a particular sequence?

2021-04-29 15:17:03
ken wrote:
What's the fastest/easiest way to check if a particular message
is a member of a particular sequence?

I thought I'd be able to compare the message number against the output
of "mark -list", but since sequences can be abbreviated with range
notation, that gets complicated quickly.  For example, message 6 is in
the sequence todo, but it's hard to tell from this:

You can get the expanded list of messages in a sequence by doing this:

     scan -format '%(msg)' sequence-name

I think from there, it's easy.  I do not know of a better way, but it
wouldn't surprise me if someone came up with something better.

Thanks.  Seems...  overkill...  to have to fire up a parsing language,
but it will definitely work.

Bob's solution, falls in the same (mostly good :-) category.

It also seems like mark(1) could do it.  Currently it ignores its message
args if -list is given.  It could be enhanced so that if message
args are given, then -list would only output sequence membership for
the given args.

...time passes...

I have a partial patch for mark which does what I described.  Don't
know whether it's worth it or not.

paul
paul fox, pgf(_at_)foxharp(_dot_)boston(_dot_)ma(_dot_)us (arlington, ma, where
it's 47.5 degrees)