Re: unquoted period in display-name in address field?

2021-05-02 15:35:58
today, i looked at the newer rfc5322. if i'm reading it correctly, it
appears that the term "obs-phrase" (which is produced by "phrase',
if i'm using "produced" in the right sense; phrase is produced by
display-name), "suddenly" (well, at least since rfc2822, circa 2020)
allows unquoted periods.

if that's the case. is post then not obeying the spec? or, am i
configuring something incorrectly?

You're correct.  Technically, we get this wrong.

It's one of those things that ... well, our address parser is kind of
a complicated mess.  But we DO have some code that claims to fix those
kind of things up and quote them properly, but I don't think it works
for all cases, and I suspect this is one of them.

And, if we're being pedantic about it, technically no compliant MUA
should be GENERATING those messages today.  So, there's not an easy
solution.