Re: unquoted period in display-name in address field?

2021-05-02 16:06:47
Greg wrote:

i occasionally get e-mail messages to which i can't just reply, because
i get an error
----
post: no at-sign after local-part (<) gre.minshall <minshall@umich.edu>:
Success, continuing...
----

The nmh address parser seems to handle that address if you insert a
space after the period, if that helps.

today, i looked at the newer rfc5322.  if i'm reading it correctly, it
appears that the term "obs-phrase" (which is produced by "phrase', if
i'm using "produced" in the right sense; phrase is produced by
display-name), "suddenly" (well, at least since rfc2822, circa 2020)
allows unquoted periods.

Right (in incoming, but not newly created, messages).  This note in
RFC 5322 Sec 4.1 is kinda interesting, esp. in light of the comment
below:

    Note: The "period" (or "full stop") character (".") in obs-phrase
    is not a form that was allowed in earlier versions of this or any
    other specification.

if that's the case.  is post then not obeying the spec?  or, am i
configuring something incorrectly?

You're right, post doesn't obey the spec.  The relevant MH/nmh code is
in sbr/mf.c, which has this comment near the top:

 * We should not allow addresses like
 *
 *              Marshall T. Rose <MRose@UCI>
 *
 * but should insist on
 *
 *              "Marshall T. Rose" <MRose@UCI>
 *
 * Unfortunately, a lot of mailers stupidly let people get away with

It's been that way since at least January 1990.  I'm reluctant to
touch that code.  If anyone is, it might be a useful project.

Coincidentally, I added an RFC 5322 address parser on a branch today,
in docs/contrib/ (not for integration into nmh proper).  It doesn't
currently handle obs-phrase.

David