mts.conf not being read?

2021-08-17 20:21:04
Hello,

While participating in  the recent thread, "Delivering  mail through nmh
via SMTP...",  I decided to  check my  mts.conf and discovered  that mts
wasn't actually configured as "sendmail/pipe" as I had thought (probably
got wiped away  when I upgraded); so I started  wondering why the change
hadn't impacted me at all.

In my mts.conf I had the following:

mts: smtp
servers: localhost

Yet, as I said in the previous  thread, I have nothing listening on port
587:

$ telnet localhost 587
Trying 127.0.0.1...
telnet: connect to address 127.0.0.1: Connection refused
Trying ::1...
telnet: connect to address ::1: Connection refused

Yet, whenever I send  email, it does in fact get  injected into my MTA's
queue via a  pipe! How is that  possible and why isn't  it attempting to
connect to port 587?

So I decided to use ktrace (similar to strace on Linux) to figure out if
it was even reading mts.conf, and it does not even open the file.

I ran:

ktrace -d comp

Composed a message and  then at the "What now?" pormpt  I typed send and
let it rip and  the email arrived as expected, but  MTA logs indicate it
was submitted via pipe sendmail interface.

Given this,  I'm curious  how it  could even be  working since  it isn't
reading my mts.conf?

Thanks,

Andy