Re: mhfixmsg character set conversion

2022-02-08 09:09:43
Steven Winikoff wrote:

I owe you an apology about this, and I'm sincerely sorry for wasting your
time on this question.

No apology is necessary.  This uncovered an issue with mhfixmsg that
we fixed.

The key is the message about the line length being too long.  Seeing that
reminded me that I'd modified the stock 1.7.1 mhfixmsg with this patch:

-decodetext binary instead of 8bit would be safer, I expect.  It
sounds like you might have tried that in the past without success.
It might help to dig in to that.

There's still something going on that I don't understand, however.  The
way I've evaluated the output from mhfixmsg was by viewing it in vim, and
there's no question that the unpatched output looks fine while the patched
output is as I've been describing since the beginning of this thread.

...but when I look at the files with command-line tools such as more or
head, *both* versions look correct.

But are they correct?  It sounds like not, based on viewing in text
editors.

In summary, I now know what's happening and (mostly) what to do about it,
but I still don't know why.

I would look at output from mime_helper and see if it's UTF-8.

David