pem-dev

Re: Key selector survey

1995-01-02 14:20:00
        7. In the X.509 context, the two MIME/PEM identifiers to choose from
        for Originator-ID and Recipient-ID are:

            <id-dname>      ::= "DN"  "," <keysel> "," <dnamestr> CRLF

           and

            <id-publickey>  ::= "PK"  "," <publickey> CRLF   (I left out the
                                                              optional
                                                              name here)

        Given that you aren't trying to hide the public key, when would you
        use the <id-dname> instead of the <id-publickey>?

On possible reason for doing this is that the process of looking up the
public key may also return additional, useful information.  In X.500,
the distinguished name provides me a pointer to an entry in the the
X.500 Directory, the entry that contains all the public information
about me, not just my public key or certificate.  I could use this
information to track down additional, ancillary information, for example
a CRL for my certificate.

Jim