pem-dev

Re: keyid, and privacy, and interworking

1995-01-05 10:27:00
        Jim Galvin writes, excerpting:

        >Excuse me?!  Have you forgotten about the PCAs required in RFC
        >1422, which by the way is required in a compliant 1421
        >implementation?  Every implementation is required to track the
        >existence of every PCA and to be able to report to a user the
        >implications of a public key found to be issued under that PCA.

        Wrong.  1421 does not require use of 1422, though it recommends it
        in the interests of a common basis for interworking.  It is wholly
        possible to build a 1421-compliant implementation which has nothing
        at all to do with 1422; several PEM implementations have been
        constructed, e.g., based purely on symmetric-key cryptography.

Well, John, you got me.  As far as symmetric key cryptography is
concerned, I agree with you.  However, actual language in the
specification notwithstanding, it is a recognized intent that where
asymmetric cryptography is concerned, a compliant implementation of PEM
must be compliant with the suite of 4 RFCs: 1421, 1422, 1423, and 1424.

To date I, at least, have said this several times on this list, although
the phrase I've been using is: the PEM/MIME specification divorces what
1421 and 1422 marry.

Jim