pem-dev

Re: Request for more info on PEM

1995-01-11 09:19:00
         I am interested in the Privacy Enhanced Mail, PEM.  I would
         appreciate you sending me more information.

Your question was sent to the PEM developers discussion list. There is no
secretariate function that would correspond to the "you" in your sentence, but
I'm attaching some info0rmation as to get more details.

         We have field offices in CIS countries such as Moldova, Armenia,
         etc.

         Can I use PEM in the countries mentioned ?

There are at least three issues involved in that question:

1. Can I USE PEM in those countries?  Maybe, but some countries have quite
strict laws regarding either the IMPORTATION or USE of encryption technology.
You'ld better check with your legal cousel.

2. Can I EXPORT PEM from the US (or from any other country that has a locally
developed implementation)? Yes, but you have to get an export license from the
US Dept. of State, as encryption technology in the US is subject to the
International Traffic in Arms Regulations. Export licenses are sometimes
granted to US companies doing business in the CIS, depending on how the
materials would be controlled, but it is not common. What the situation would
be for an international organization such as the World Bank is far beyond my
understanding. Export controls generally involve the State Department (which
consults the Department of Defense) and the Department of commerce. However,
banking applications also involve the Department of the Treasury, and have
tradiionally been granted a more liberal use. My advice would be to get the
diplomats involved.

3. Can I use PEM to SEND messages from one country to Moldava, Armenia, Russia,
etc.?  Maybe, and maybe not. There are no controls imposed in the United States
(so far!) regarding the USE of encryption technology, either domestically or
internationally. The same is NOT true for all other countries, e.g., France,
and some of the Scandanavian/Nordic countries, where special arrangements may
have to be made to deposit the encryption keys with the government or there may
be special concerns regarding privacy issues. Encrypted broadcast messages sent
from your headquarters to multiple countries might cause a number of problems.

Generally speaking, the controls that are placed on digital signature
technology are much less onerous than those place on encryption, so if you only
need to validate the authenticity of message you may have an easier time. there
are versions of RSAREF and RIPEM that have blanket approvals for export frm the
US because they only implement digital signatures.

As a final note, the controls in this area are falling apart as a result of the
ebb and flow in East/West relations, with an increasing emphasis being placed
on some North/South concerns and specific regimes. The US still maintains
unilateral controls, but the rest of the former COCOM countries may not.
Recently, Russia has applied for and been granted a special status as a
affiliate (or sometihng) COCOM country, as they are concenred about the
proliferation of military technology to the third world as well.

If all else fails and you solve the export problem from the US, you might look
around for implementations in other countries. I'll let individuals on this
list introduce themselves to you private, but there are people from
Switzerland, Roumania, Sweden, Germany, the UK, France, Japan, and probably
lots more that might be able to help you find an indigenous source for PEM. I'm
not aware of any from the countries you mentioned, but I wouldn't be surprised.
You might also check with the Rusians themselves!

Good luck -- you have some tough problem ahead of you, at least if you try to
be legal and above board. (On the other hand, it is a little hard to imagine
prosecuting the World Bank!)

Bob

Robert R. Jueneman
GTE Laboratories