pem-dev

Re: RIPEM details

1995-01-12 09:16:00
Jueneman(_at_)gte(_dot_)com writes:
I was merely trying to see if we could economize on some of the
mechanisms, and gradually force PEM, RIPEM, PEM/MIME, and eventually
PGP (gasp) to use a consistent (and small) set of common operations.

Our job isn't to force anyone to do anything, remember.  We're not an ISO or
IEEE standards committee (we're not, in fact, a standards committee at all,
thank heavens).

Aren't standards wonderful? Especially if everybody has their own??

Standards are wonderful to precisely the degree that they work (where "work"
covers the whole range of groups using, implementing, and deploying the
standards in question).  Multiple standards as fine if they all work.  A
single standard is bad if it doesn't, or isn't produced until the subject area
has become irrelevant.

Amanda Walker
InterCon Systems Corporation