pem-dev

Random e-mail names

1995-01-16 10:35:00
... They are completely under the
user's very casual control, and may in fact change on every single message a
user sends. (I routinely receive mail from people who do this, and in fact we
have a gadget on our system here that generates random email personal names.)

Just out of curiosity, what is the reason for having such a gadget?  Is it just
an amusing hack, as I assumed at first, or is there some deeper purpose, for
example to send semi-anonymous mail to the Suggestion department, etc.?

Robert R. Jueneman
GTE Laboratories
40 Sylvan Road
Waltham, MA 02254