pem-dev

Re: which version of certificate (was: Key selectors)

1995-01-16 15:18:00
With that in mind, the PEM/MIME document does not care which version of
certificate is used.  The certificate is one mechanism among a few that
facilitates the validation/distribution of a public key, a process which
is explicitly independent of the support of the security services.
Thus, what is required is the exchange of public keys.  If that happens
via certificate, there may be interoperability issues, but that is
outside the scope of this specification.

How should I interpret that statment with respect to the CRITICAL flag for
extextions in v3? Are you seem to be saying that you will pick out the public
key part of the certificate, and ignore everything else?! Am I reading you
correctly?

Bob

Robert R. Jueneman
GTE Laboratories