pem-dev

Are we an effective standards committee?

1995-01-17 14:04:00

I must apologize for not following all of the latest technical comments on PEM.

I have been ignoring the "Re: Are we a standards committee?" messages assuming
that these were not relevant technical discussions.  I now see that many valid
technical comments have been made in this misnamed thread.

I would like to modify this thread of discussion slightly.  Are we an effective
standards committee?

My opinion is no.

There is much room to improve our working groups efficiency.  I believe that
the mechanism instituted by Steve Kent
(justdoit(_at_)sub-rosa(_dot_)bbn(_dot_)com and
letswait(_at_)sub-rosa(_dot_)bbn(_dot_)com) provides a very valuable means to
improve our
standards development process.  Rather than having a multitude of opinions
spewed into my electronic in box, this approach offers a means to review
collected coherent comments.

I plan to submit my opinions to "letswait(_at_)sub-rosa(_dot_)bbn(_dot_)com"
before the January
22 deadline.  I have very little confidence in the current editing process for
PEM-MIME.  I hope that the collection of comments in this (non-binding)
referendum will help resolve and correct the issues with the specification.

Paul