perl-i18n

Re: Howdy/sault from/du Canada

2002-02-24 15:10:21
On Sun, Feb 24, 2002 at 11:28:09AM -0500, Jay Lawrence
(jlawrenc(_at_)infonium(_dot_)com) said something similar to:

Hi! Just read about the list on Use.Perl.Org and joined right away. :)

Welcome!

For those with time, visit: http://www.termium.com - you will need an
id and password which I'd be glad to supply on a case by case basis.
This is a trilingual terminology database with about 1.5 million terms
in English and French, about 250,000 in Spanish. Mostly powered by
Perl. :) Its implementation is not idea but it is good experience.

Just went to the site, wouldn't mind getting an id/password to check it
all out, then ask how you implemented it :)

Crossreferencing l10n with my other major interest - POOP* - I am
trying to develop effective mechanisms to build apps which are easy to
localize - internationalize - globalize! :) And then the real trick -
maintain them.

I recently started doing this at The Company and began by creating a
G11N.pm to use as a base class for all things needing l10n/i18n/g11n.
Right now, since I am mostly dealing with going between various
encodings, it is used as a nice wrapper for Text::Iconv. Then, I
subclass it for more specific tasks (like handling emails, and later
for handling the filestystem, and date formats, etc...). This is all in
its infancy (just handling email reading/sending in various encoding),
but I expect it will end up being easily maintainable.

Really, what I curious about is creating a string (scalar) class that
can be overridden /expanded to offer multilingual characteristics -
onboard language variants; consult central table for language variant;
on-the-fly translation; construction of translation-todo list; etc.

Sounds interesting :) We support multiple languages, but nothing is
done on the fly.

Here's hopin we win Canada vs. USA for Olympic gold in men's hockey!

Blah! I just watched Canada win... It wasn't embarassing until those 2
quick 3rd period goals. But, since it is US and Canada it was like
watching a mini-All Star game :)

Cheers,
Kevin

--
[Writing CGI Applications with Perl - http://perlcgi-book.com]
Disciple   - How can you be what you are not?