perl-i18n

Re: HELO

2002-02-21 06:51:13
Hello Autrijus,

On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 04:39:40PM +0800, Autrijus Tang
(autrijus(_at_)autrijus(_dot_)org) said something similar to:
Hi all. :-)

Some quick questions:

1) How is this different from -unicode?

This list isn't specifically about Unicode, although it is a topic which should
surely come up quite a bit.

2) Are l10n issues candidates for discussions as well?

Anything i18n, l10n, or g11n should be discussed.

3) The use.perl announcements states 'using Perl for i18n' as the purpose.
   What, exactly, does this mean?

Say you have System X, possibly a CGI application of some sort,  which works
fine
when used by someone who only reads English and lives in the US. Now, you have
to make System X work seamlessly for someone who, say, lives in Japan and wants
to use the system in their language, using their encodings, their date formats,
their sorting rules, etc... Now, someone in Korea and Isreal want the same. So,
how do you use Perl to accomplish this? That is what it means.

That's just an example (one which I have been working on at work). I have
spoken with others who are working on i18n efforts on their projects (after
all, most want to hit the global market) so this is a place to discuss
problems, solutions, ideas, etc...

Hope this clears it up a little.

Cheers,
Kevin