perl-i18n

Re: My upcoming TPC slides

2002-07-14 08:43:20
On Sun, Jul 14, 2002 at 03:56:37AM -0600, Sean M. Burke wrote:
You're not giving a proper plug for it!

Hah!  Indeed.

* How long is the talk?  When is it scheduled for?

Date: 2002/07/26
Time: 1:45pm to 2:30pm

Length: 45 minutes.
Location: Grande Ballroom B
Conference: http://conferences.oreillynet.com/os2002/

It's allocated at the penultimate time slot in the last day of
the conference.

Alternatively, you can fly to Taiwan at 2002/08/02 to hear it
in Chinese, at our Internatonal Conference of Open Source:
http://twopensource.org/icos02/.

* It's a free talk, not a tutorial, right?

It's a conference session.  That means all people who are coming
to TPC can attend it.

* Is it introductory (i.e., assuming just some general Perl background),
right?  Or do you already have to have a background in localization?

It is aimed at Perl programmers interested in i18n/L10n, but does
not require specific background.  Which probably covers everybody
on the perl-i18n list. :-)

Are there any Perl modules you have to already know, before going to that
talk?  (like Text::Template, mod_perl, etc.)

It helps if you know any templating system (I used CGI.pm, Mason
and TT2 as examples, but the principle applies elsewhere), and are
reasonably comfortable with Perl's OO syntax.

* I lookded at a slide and there was some text in RUSSIAN and I don't talk
Russian!!  CAN I STILL COME?

Everybody who can read English (and Perl) should have no problem grokking
this talk.  I'll use quite a bit German in examples, so it helps if you
understand what the word "Deutsch" means.

Besides English, there are (by order of appearance) Quenya, Russian,
German, Latvian, Italian, Traditional Chinese, Czech, Spanish, French,
Croatian, Japanese, Korean, Dutch, Polish, Slovak, Slovenian and
Simplified Chinese texts in my slides.  It'll be fun if you know some
of them, but they're by no means required. ;-)

Thanks,
/Autrijus/