perl-i18n

Adding Big5-1984 to Encode

2004-11-16 08:20:26
Hi all,

    I'm wondering if Big5-1984 can be added to Encode.  I'm developing
web applications, which rely a lot on FB_HTMLCREF.  I found that Big5-eten
and CP950 are incompatible, especially in Japanese and European language
characters.  When FB_HTMLCREF-encoding web pages as Big5-eten, Japanese
hiragana and katakana characters will be mapped to Big5-eten but not
numeric character references, which will not be shown at all under MSIE.
If I encode them with CP950 instead, European characters, like ê,
will be mapped to US-ASCII.  Neither one is acceptable for i18n web
applications.

    I agree to use Big5-eten as the standard for Big5 for most
applications, but Big5-1984 should also be available to meet the
requirement of web applications.  Currently I'm doing this locally on my
own, putting Encode::Big51984 according to the instruction in
Encode::Encoding.  But I'm wondering if Big5-1984 can be officially added
to Encode, or Encode::HanExtra.  Of course, it would be best if there
can be some magic for Encode so that it can use Big5-1984 automatically
when running with FB_HTMLCREF, and Big5-eten with others.

--
Best regards,
imacat ^_*' <imacat(_at_)mail(_dot_)imacat(_dot_)idv(_dot_)tw>

Tavern IMACAT's: http://www.imacat.idv.tw/