perl-unicode

Re: In-Band Information Considered Harmful

1998-10-25 08:04:03
"IZ" == Ilya Zakharevich <ilya(_at_)math(_dot_)ohio-state(_dot_)edu>
writes:

IZ> What *I* had in mind that "almost 3/4 of" is represented by the string

IZ>    "almost 34 of"
IZ>            ```
IZ>            xyz

IZ> with markups:

IZ>      x = start fraction
IZ>      y = boundary between numerator and denominator;
IZ>      z = end of fraction

IZ> between chars.

I would have thought that it would be represented as:

        almost 34 of
               |+ denominator \
               |              +--- rational_number
               +- numerator   /

I consider defining the regions directly better than looking for
boundaries to determine the regions.

IZ> My experiments with eText show that very simple rules create a
IZ> complete illusion of intelligent behaviour.  ;-)  The situation with
IZ> eText is allevivated by the decision to make the markup have width, so
IZ> there is no question whether inserting of "5" between "3" and "4" in
IZ> the above example results in 35/4 or 3/54.

One could remember from which direction the insertion is happening.
After the '3' or before the '4'.

<chaim>
--
Chaim Frenkel                                        Nonlinear Knowledge, Inc.
chaimf(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com