perl-unicode

Re: In-Band Information Considered Harmful

1998-10-25 08:07:17
I don't follow you. If metadata and data are kept seperate there wouldn't
be _any_ confusion as to what is text. And how does Postscript, Tk get
into the picture? Rendering is after the underlying data is understood.

<chaim>

"NI" == Nick Ing-Simmons <nick(_at_)ni-s(_dot_)u-net(_dot_)com> writes:

NI> Chip Salzenberg <chip(_at_)perlsupport(_dot_)com> writes:

Defining the content in terms of markup leaves would imply that no
text exists that does not participate in the metadata system somehow.

NI> In the limit :
NI> The byte 0x41 is markup, saying render upper-case variant of 1st letter
NI> of Latin alphabet.

I don't feel comfortable with that, even as an abstraction.

--
Chaim Frenkel                                        Nonlinear Knowledge, Inc.
chaimf(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com