perl-unicode

Re: In-Band Information Considered Harmful

1998-10-26 01:10:05
"Chip" == Chip Salzenberg <chip(_at_)perlsupport(_dot_)com> writes:
    Chip> I can only speak for myself: XML and HTML share the property
    Chip> that it's difficult for an input filter to programmatically
    Chip> determine what part of the input should be considered
    Chip> essential to the meaning of the content and what part should
    Chip> not.

I don't think that's fair, Chip.  HTML is a specific representation,
XML is a meta-environment.  It's not meaningful to describe a document
as being in XML.  A document is encoded in accordence with a DTD, &
said DTD confirms to XML's rules.

The *huge* difference between XML & HTML to me is that you must
explicitly state, somewhere, exactly what is and isn't essential.
That's the whole point of the DTD.

--
Stephen
---