perl-unicode

Re: In-Band Information Considered Harmful

1998-10-26 21:41:37
According to Ken Fox:
Chip Salzenberg writes:
According to Ken Fox:
Overlapping metadata is a problem though.
Not in this area, AFAIK.

Calling meta($s, 'foot') will return foot ABC.  How should foot DEF
be fetched?  It applies to the same offset.  I think meta() should
always return a metadata stream (collection maybe?).

Oh, I see -- overlapping metadata conflicts with having meta() return
a scalar.  Yes, that's true.

(I'm assuming that Topaz will have more built-in data types than
Perl 5.)

Well, it _can_.  But I'm hoping that many things that might seem like
new types could instead become new implementations of existing types.

That said, iterators seem like a good candidate for a real new type.
--
Chip Salzenberg               - a.k.a. -
<chip(_at_)perlsupport(_dot_)com>