perl-unicode

Re: In-Band Information Considered Harmful

1998-10-23 15:55:00
Chip writes:
OK, I get it.  But I was trying for something more ambitious. [...]

Then this code would retrieves all of the anchors that point to
perl.org:

    @a = ($page =~ /(\m{a}.+)(?{ meta($1,'a')->{href} =~
/perl\.org/i })/);

Note that this code examines the metadata _during_ the search process.

Yes, that's quite cool, and something like that needs to get done.  Nice
thinking.

In addition, some sort of 'baby case' might be called for, so people
can manipulate metadata very simply.  Maybe something even as
easy as

@a = ($page =~ /(\m{link}perl.org)/i); # matches any link w/perl.org in it

I'm glad to have cleared up the misunderstanding.  But don't let my
withdrawal from a strong multi-meta system discourage you from working
such a thing out for yourself.

I'm trying to figure out what's best for Perl the language.  A
separate question is what people build _using_ Perl.

Er, just how separate is that? :)

And I would be
very glad to see a system like you have been describing as a module,
maybe even a standard module.

As with Safe, I don't think a meta-data system could possibly work
without being bilaterally incestuous with the core.

F.