perl-unicode

Re: Unicode aware module

1999-04-23 16:58:10
At 04:42 PM 4/23/99 , Tim Bunce wrote:
[..]
Whether an _individual_ argument string contains utf8, utf16, ascii or
a gif has nothing to do with the lexical context of the sub that called
you.

The context of the caller is a very unreliable hint at best.

As I see utf8 being used, a programmer would be setting the context and
that _all_ strings would be in UTF8 and anything returned would also be in
UTF8.

For example, I foresee developers on Windows platforms that are dealing
with characters not mapped in Latin1 to have a C<use utf8;> at the top of
all of their scripts, and expect that all strings passed to/from the OS
would also be in UTF8.

-- Dick