perl-unicode

Re: Unicode aware module

1999-06-12 01:31:20
On Fri, Jun 11, 1999 at 09:09:24PM -0700, Gurusamy Sarathy wrote:
But I dislike the idea of a global switch for utf8.  There
is no graceful way to detect if some code was never indended
to be run in utf8 mode (assume it processes GIF files, or
other random binary data).

It is simple.  If you have no global utf8 switch, you do not have utf8
capability in Perl.  Without it we finish with what we have now for
locale: you need 4 variants of every module:

        one for no locale no utf
        one for no locale utf
        one for locale no utf
        one for locale utf

(well, maybe 3, since the interaction of locales and utf is not clear).

with modules able to switch it off by

 use nocaller 'utf8 locale';

This violates the "C<no foo;> should be the default" dictum.

It is a default until use globalfoo is done.

Ilya