perl-unicode

Re: [EXPERIMENTAL] 1st draft of Encode

2000-09-12 00:17:02
Please read Encode.pm.  Mainly I'm interested hearing comments whether
this is a good interface...

I like the interface. No complicated options.

It might be more useful if the default for the non-utf-8 characters were the
system-defined default character encoding of the process  -rather than iso
latin 1. I suspect there are various difficulties with this, but it would be
more useful for international users.

As for the comments about a fuzzy match for a second encoding name argument,
please look at what ICU (International Components for Unicode) does in this
regard. Essentially there is an alias mechanism with some limited kinds of
variability allowed in terms of case and I think some punctuation noise.

Perhaps it would be difficult to use ICU as a utility library for Perl, but it
seems on the surface to make sense. It is open source (some flavor thereof
anyway). There are a lot of converters implemented and they are very fast.
There is a mechanism to allow loading only the converter tables that are
required. (There's also lots of locale support stuff there too, which might
also be useful.)

ICU info here:

http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/icu/project/

---