perl-unicode

Re: [EXPERIMENTAL] 1st draft of Encode

2000-09-12 06:26:08
If I say to_utf8() once more on it I expect to get a string containing
4 chars:

  "\xC3\x82\xC2\xA9"

and I expect from_utf8() to go the other way.

Ahhh, no wonder we differed.  My brain equates to_utf8(to_utf8()) with
to_utf8().

Your to_utf8() seems to be named after "turn-on-the-utf8-flag" which I

Nope.  It's "convert-bytes-to-utf8-and-turn-on-the-utf8-flag".
Maybe my documentation of the functions is somehow bad and confusing?

think of as just an internal implementation detail.  What if we change
the internal representation to be always UTF-32.  Do you want to
rename your functions then?

No, why should I?  They would still convert bytes they expect
not to be/to be utf8 to something that is/is not utf8.

--
$jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/
        # It is 'dead'. -- Jack Cohen