perl-unicode

Re: Encode, take two

2000-09-12 11:40:43
On Tue, Sep 12, 2000 at 12:57:19PM -0500, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:
=head2 bytes

    bytes_to_utf8($string)

I cunningly left out the legacy encodings mapping issue from this
version since we obviously need to hammer out the more basic API
policy first, but those would of course be:

      bytes_to_utf8($string, $encoding)
      utf8_to_bytes($string, $encoding)
      chars_to_utf8($string, $encoding)
      utf8_to_chars($string, $encoding)

With lots of opportunity to croak(): "You want Shift-JIS encoded into
Turkish EBCDIC?  Think again, bozo."  And once we get the above working:

      from_to($string, $from_encoding, $to_encoding)

        from_to($string, $from_encoding, $to_encoding [, $strict])

Abigail