perl-unicode

Re: Encode, take two

2000-09-12 12:25:02
On Tue, 12 Sep 2000 12:48:27 -0500, Jarkko Hietaniemi
<jhi(_at_)iki(_dot_)fi> said:

      > =head2 Testing For UTF-8

      >         is_utf8_strict($string)

      > The data in $string is checked for well-formed-UTF-8-ness.
      > Returns true if the flag is on, false otherwise.
                            ^^^^
      > [INTERNAL] The UTF-8 flag is not checked.
                             ^^^^

Flag? Did you mean returns true if it does not have malformed UTF-8
sequences? OR did you mean flag must already be on in addition?

Am I the only one who cannot associate "strict" with this test? I
mean, because we know that well-formed-ness is a necessary but not a
sufficient condition to qualify something as UTF-8. So there is no
really strict test available. Possible alternatives from this
perspective could be maybe_utf8(), wellformed_utf8(), utf8_ok()?

--
andreas