perl-unicode

Re: perl5.6+ native UTF8 to/from external encodings

2000-10-30 05:38:07
Clark Cooper <coopercc(_at_)netheaven(_dot_)com> writes:
There's a routine available in modern Unix called iconv for performing
character encoding conversion. I don't know how efficient it is. I believe
I've seen a module for it on CPAN.

It might be that iconv should be integerated into the core with 5.6+

The iconv(3) routine exists on both Solaris and Linux, but the
set of supported encodings seems under specified and hard to determine.
(Linux seems to have far more and and easier way of finding out.)

--
Nick Ing-Simmons <nik(_at_)tiuk(_dot_)ti(_dot_)com>
Via, but not speaking for: Texas Instruments Ltd.