perl-unicode

Re: perl5.6+ native UTF8 to/from external encodings

2000-10-30 11:02:15

On Mon, 30 Oct 2000, Nick Ing-Simmons wrote to Markus Kuhn:

The improved iconv that will come soon with glibc 2.2 under Linux are
also separately available in Bruno Haible's libiconv:

 http://clisp.cons.org/~haible/packages-libiconv.html

Interesting - what is the license on that version?
A glance at the web page does not show any EBCDIC but I may have missed
them under other names.

FWIW the OS supplied iconv implementation on OS/390 can handle a fair
number of EBCDIC <-> ASCII transforms.  Note that Configure now
probes for iconv.h and the availability of an C<iconv()> C RTL call
but does not currently do anything with the information.  On OS/390 there
are also special puporse translation calls: C<_etoa()> and C<_atoe()>
that take ISO-8859-1 <-> CP 1047 that do not entail the use of iconv()
or iconv.h.  But since they are very vendor specific they are probably not
suitable for portability reasons (I am unfortunatly not aware of what
speed difference there may be between iconv() and the _etoa()/_atoe()
implementation, if there is any).

I think that adding transformation tables to OS/390's iconv() repetoire
is typically done by ordering extra I18N tapes from IBM.  I've not looked
much into the GPLed iconv implementations plug in architecture though I
suppose that it is reasonably straight forward.

Peter Prymmer