perl-unicode

Re: ICU in Perl plans?

2001-07-12 01:52:28
Peter Prymmer <pvhp(_at_)forte(_dot_)com> writes:
Is someone currently working on incorporating ICU into Perl?

I think Nick Ing-Simmons took some codepage data from ICU and
folded it into the Encode module for developers versions of perl,
but it would appear that he retained the Tcl format of the data
rather than the ICU format.

Not true. Rather the other way round as it happens.
ext/Encode/compile can read .ucm files now (which is ICU's format IIRC),
but until the license issue was settled I used the Tcl tables.
("compile" can also read/write both formats).

The hold up now that license is clear is just one of tuits to
A. Study license and get credits and Copyrights into shape.
B. Copy .ucm files from ICU to ext/Encode/Encode/*.ucm
C. Test it.
D. Decide if we want to use ICU's C code rather than my encengine.c
   (I am biased but I think encengine.c's scheme of working directly
   on UTF-8 form is more appropriate to perl's internals.)

There is also the picu project at:

  http://picu.sourceforge.net/

If not, does someone have an idea when that work will start?

Some work appears to have started.  James Briggs will be giving a talk on
picu at the O'Reilly Open Source Software Convention in San Diego toward
the end of July.

I'd like to help, but I know far more about ICU than I do Perl
internals which, I would guess, is the hard part.

A matter of perspective I suppose :-)

Peter Prymmer
--
Nick Ing-Simmons