perl-unicode

Re: ICU in Perl plans?

2001-07-12 16:18:29
Nick Ing-Simmons <nick(_at_)ing-simmons(_dot_)net> wrote
C. Test it.

Please let me know if I can help.

D. Decide if we want to use ICU's C code rather than my encengine.c
  (I am biased but I think encengine.c's scheme of working directly
  on UTF-8 form is more appropriate to perl's internals.)

Your code sounds very interesting. The utf-8 native support no doubt would be
useful. But I'm wondering - does it support gb18030? The ICU support for
gb18030 is in code that supplements the gb18030.ucm. Also, support for HZ and
the iso-2022-jp/kr series is in code. These are very important encodings for
Asia. gb18030 support is a government requirement in PRC now (and it requires
UTF-16 surrogate pairs that your code might not support). The iso-2022-xx
series is critical to web serving and internet mail. I am very familiar with
the converter code so if you need help segregating it or whatever, let me know.

=Ed

--== Sent via Deja.com ==--
http://www.deja.com/