perl-unicode

Re: Japanese text search problem

2001-08-07 12:42:46
Dan Kogai <dankogai(_at_)dan(_dot_)co(_dot_)jp> writes:

on 01.8.8 1:54 AM, Andreas Marcel Riechert at riechert(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com
wrote:
Why should Unicode be the "de facto standard for internal
representation"? ...or "internal standard" to whom, or what? In perl
that could happen, but as a general statement I cannot agree, but
anyway I would like to hear your reasoning.

  I am not a big fan of Unicode but even I cannot ignore the fact that two
most prevalent OSes, Windows and MacOS, internally uses Unicode, I think it
was fair to say so (I was even careful enough to say "de facto").

Okay accepted ;-) When I read "internal representation" I thought
about applications, but OS's  didn' cross my mind. My fault to
missunderstand you.

  We all know only too well the best not always prevail.  TAD wins
engineering beauty contest but too bad it didn't get enough support from
those who code to make their ends meet.

TAD which reminds me in many areas of Apples Worldscript should win
the beauty contest and I hope TAD will survive as an alternative to
Unicode. BTW, the only TAD based machine I use/play with at  the moment
is a (more or less useless) B-TRON (CHO-Kanji) system.

  As for EUC-JP, yes, EUC-JP is the internal code of Jcode (because Jcode
was born pre-5.6 days and it needs to continue to work on 5.0.x).  I would
even say EUC-JP is the best so long as your piece of code is 'mere'
bilingual.

I think EUC-JP is the best choice you could make.
Allmost all my  programms use EUC-JP internally. And at least for a
while I won't change to Unicode.

Dan the Developer of Jcode
Andreas Marcel the happy and thankfull  user of Jcode

  Thank you for using my humble code.
...Used it just 2 minutes ago for a quick (EUC-JP Octal-Numbers)
-->(sjis) hack for viewing  some C source code hashes on my Macintosh.
Defintely one of the modules without I won't travel.

Dan the Man with Too Many Charsets to Deal with
Me too :-)
Andreas Marcel