perl-unicode

Re: Japanese text search problem

2001-08-09 02:25:44
Dan Kogai <dankogai(_at_)dan(_dot_)co(_dot_)jp> writes:

 I feel obligated to help because there appears a critical shortage of
engineers in Perl (5/6) porters who grok multiple byte codes.

I would certainly appreciate expert opinion on Encode module.
The infrastructure is there for multi-byte (I think) but I admit I don't
really know what I am am doing, or when I do _why_ I am doing it.

I believe
features like Jcode should be handled by standard modules.  I prescribed
Jcode because and only because Camel could not digest Japanese.  If there is
a chance to "genetically engineer" the camel this is definitely a feature
that should be included in its DNA....

Modern Camel's guts can digest UTF-8 fairly well, Encode is intended as the
Camel's teeth - to get the incoming shrubbery into a form the guts can handle
(I will gloss over the other end for now...)

Dan the Camel Vet

--
Nick Ing-Simmons
http://www.ni-s.u-net.com/