perl-unicode

Broken fonts (was RE: UTF-16 -> UTF-8)

2001-11-22 17:06:31
I am well aware that munging Japanese and Korean fonts that claim to contain
Unicode mappings is intentional. It is still a violation of the Unicode
standard, and (IMNSHO) a gross design error.

I am also aware that some Japanese feel that this intentional coding error
is vital to their use of these fonts. I disagree. If you would like to argue
the point, let us do so on the Unicode list or in private.

-----Original Message-----
From: SADAHIRO Tomoyuki [mailto:bqw10602(_at_)nifty(_dot_)com]
Sent: Thursday, November 22, 2001 5:18 AM
To: Edward Cherlin; Tim(_dot_)Scott(_at_)fdgroup(_dot_)com
Cc: perl-unicode(_at_)perl(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: UTF-16 -> UTF-8

On Wed, 21 Nov 2001 10:27:11 -0800
Edward Cherlin <edward(_at_)webforhumans(_dot_)com> wrote:

Your problem with '\' is that MS Mincho is trying to be
both a Unicode font
and a Japanese font. This has resulted in an incorrect code point
assignment, evidently in a convoluted and (IMNSHO)
misguided attempt at
backward compatibility. The font should have the correct
code point to glyph
mapping, and the application should know what character set
it is asking the
system to render, but this is not always the case today.

Although MS Mincho is supposed to be a Unicode font, it
improperly assigns
the yen sign to code point U+005C Reverse Solidus. The same
problem exists
in MS Gothic and MS PGothic. Microsoft's Korean-style fonts
including
Batang, BatangChe, Dotum, DotumChe, Gulim, GulimChe,
Gungsuh, and GungsuhChe
have the won currency symbol at this code point.

I don't understand the problem with ')', which is the same
in ASCII and MS
Mincho.

Microsoft fonts that cover the CJK Unified block and also
have correct
glyphs for '\' include

Arial Unicode MS
MingLiU
PMingLiU
SimHei
SimSun

That MS Japanese fonts have a Yen mark
 and MS Korean fonts have a Won mark at U+005C
is not a problem, but an intended thing.

http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/reference/dbcs/932.htm
 5C = U+005C : REVERSE SOLIDUS (YEN SIGN)

http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/reference/dbcs/949.htm
 5C = U+005C : REVERSE SOLIDUS (WON SIGN)

And
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/unicode-symbols.html.en
 also may inform you.
(esp. see the section of "ASCII and JIS X 0201 Roman")

Regards,
SADAHIRO Tomoyuki