perl-unicode

RE: '.' concatenation seems to fail with 2 unicode strings

2001-12-07 10:35:39
Yes I have seen this and the way I have worked around it is:

$myStr = Unicode::String::utf8($char1) . Unicode::String::utf8($char2);
return $myStr->as_string;

Sharon O'Connor
Software Engineer, Netopia
(650)314-0485
370 Distel Circle, Suite A100
Los Altos, CA 94022
www.netopia.com
Netopia, Making Broadband Work (tm)

-----Original Message-----
From: Jean-Michel Hiver [mailto:jhiver(_at_)mkdoc(_dot_)com]
Sent: Friday, December 07, 2001 9:23 AM
To: perl-unicode(_at_)perl(_dot_)org
Subject: '.' concatenation seems to fail with 2 unicode strings

Hi,

  I am quite new to unicode, and although I'm a confirmed Perl
  programmer this seems to be quite a mind fuck ;-)

    Just a very simple script:

    #!/usr/bin/perl
    use utf8;
    use strict;

    print "Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8\n\n";

    # 8712 is the mathematical 'belongs to' symbol
    my $unicode_char1 = chr (8712);
    my $unicode_char2 = chr (8712);

    print $unicode_char1, "\n";
    print $unicode_char2, "\n";
    print $unicode_char1 . $unicode_char2, "\n";

The concatenation doesn't work!
Tested on the command line and in mozilla browser (which has quite good
unicode support)

However, using Unicode::String and the append() method seems to work
fine. I am using Perl 5.6.0

Any ideas?
Cheers,

--