perl-unicode

Re: '.' concatenation seems to fail with 2 unicode strings

2001-12-07 11:18:57
Jean-Michel Hiver writes:
: Hi,
:
:   I am quite new to unicode, and although I'm a confirmed Perl
:   programmer this seems to be quite a mind fuck ;-)
:
:     Just a very simple script:
:
:     #!/usr/bin/perl
:     use utf8;
:     use strict;
:
:     print "Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8\n\n";
:
:     # 8712 is the mathematical 'belongs to' symbol
:     my $unicode_char1 = chr (8712);
:     my $unicode_char2 = chr (8712);
:
:     print $unicode_char1, "\n";
:     print $unicode_char2, "\n";
:     print $unicode_char1 . $unicode_char2, "\n";
:
:
: The concatenation doesn't work!
: Tested on the command line and in mozilla browser (which has quite good
: unicode support)
:
: However, using Unicode::String and the append() method seems to work
: fine. I am using Perl 5.6.0

I believe this was fixed some time ago in 5.6.1.  The Unicode support
in 5.6.0 was, er, slightly unpolished.  It is regrettable that various
companies are still shipping 5.6.0, or worse.

Larry