perl-unicode

Re: use Encode; # on Japanese; LONG!

2002-01-09 21:06:59
   The surprising thing however broken it functioned somewhat.  Not bad

It probably worked just based on the Tcl/Tk background.

for a character set you have virtually no idea on.  It's as miraculous
as assembling the Machine out of the blueprint sent over the stars
(Read/Seen 'Contact' by late Carl Sagan?).

How about "not at all"? :-)

   How do you say that in Finnish?  In Japanese it would be "Zenzen
Wakarimasen".

"ei yhtään" or in this case 1st person singular, "en yhtään".

   Or is it?  As a matter of fact Jcode POD contains no Japanese since
pod parser groks no Japanese.  It just has a web page in both languages
and mailing list, however....

Does a pod page with the Japanese intended with spaces (so it would
look to pod parsers just like a program code sample, left untouched)
work at all?

   Okay, I'll move as quickly as possible but if the worse gets the worst
I can still upload it to CPAN (I just want to make sure the name space
remains untouched).
   If I just code a bridging module to Jcode that would be just a few
hours away but I wouldn't want to do that knowing I can implement much
simpler and more elegantly.

Let's wait for Nick's and Sadahiro's comments on which way would be
the best strategy.

   I also believe the same scheme can be applied to other CJKV
languages/charset.  But once again I need some help to come that far.  I
know some chinese (perhaps enough to debug the code.  I can at least
tell if certain string is a sentence or line noise :) but I know little

With this you would earn a few more brownie points.

Korean and absolutely no Vietnamese...

   Well, enough mubling done.  Back to coding....

Dan the Man with Too Many Breed of Camels (that is, too many versions of
Camels to babysit; I still have a customer that sticks with perl4,
y'know).

--
$jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/
        # It is 'dead'. -- Jack Cohen