perl-unicode

Re: use Encode; # on Japanese; LONG!

2002-01-11 16:20:24
Portablity: make Encode portable with pre-perl 5.6?

   That needs a complete rewrite of the current code;  Encode today is
too CORE:: dependent (such as the use of utf8:: subs).  Still it's worth
it and with proper  #ifdef's I think I can make even XS portable.
   My opnion is to make Encode available both as part of core and
independent module like so many popular ones as libnet, DB_File,
Storable, to name a few.
Remember there are still lots of sites without 5.6 with good reasons.

Well, for that we would need Unicode.  How much of it we need?
Is the Unicode::String enough?  If you need working Unicode regexes,
then pre-5.8 (yes, 5.8) Perl's are out of luck.

--
$jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/
        # It is 'dead'. -- Jack Cohen