perl-unicode

Re: 0th MODULAR Encode module is now available

2002-01-28 16:56:28
On 2002.01.29, at 07:10, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:
On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 10:01:15PM +0000, Nick Ing-Simmons wrote:
Dan Kogai <dankogai(_at_)dan(_dot_)co(_dot_)jp> writes:
jhi, Nick, Sadahiro and folks @ perl-unicode,

  I have just finished 'modularizing' Encode module.

I appologise in advance for sounding rather negative about the idea.
I hate to turn down offers of help, but really wish you could do the
bits I don't understand rather than re-working the bits I am quite
good at.

That's the whole point. You are so good at coding that you seem to forget that others have far less brain capacity and narrower eyesight. I needed to 'divide' before 'conquer'. My 'real work' is yet to be done but I needed to divide it into pieces so I can work on. CPANizing is one thing but my lack of capacity is the main reason why I chopped your modules into pieces.

I may have mentioned the idea of maybe possibly eventually CPANizing
Encode to Dan, so some part of the blame maybe mine...  CPANizing
frankly doesn't make much sense before we have at the very least
5.7.3, but probably not before we have 5.8.0.  The Unicode support
in pre-5.7.2 simply isn't worth the backporting pain yet (maybe
eventually someone may get 5.6.X to work enough, but I wouldn't
hold my breath).

The situation is somewhat different in CJK regions, at least in Japan. There are still thousands, if not millions, of servers running perl 5.00503 or below. FreeBSD, for one, still uses 5.00503 for its STABLE branch. Modules like this is in high demand.

As you see real work is yet to be done but at least now we can develop
Encode ASYNCHRONOUSLY from perl core.

Well I am far from sure that is a good idea until it works better than it
does now - given that various parts of the core assume its existance.

Agreed... first let's get something that works, *then* we can
clean it up.  (Admittedly, cleaning it up a little bit first
maybe a good thing, too...)

Once again I needed to clean up BEFORE making it work. I needed each module to be small enough for me to focus. I intentionally released 'non-improved' version because I needed to know what you guys think.

We have various CPAN modules that do things "like" Encode - the rationale
for building it (as a framework) into the core was to try and provide
an interface that people could rely on existing.

Here's what I suggest: let's get the CJK mess fixed first (for 5.7.3).
Then we can take a deep breath and think what should be done next.
First things first, and all that.

Firstly, I could take the cleanup work Dan has done now, and merge it
back to the "bleadperl" (modulo the Encode/ vs tables/ change).

  Thank you.  I'll wait for the next breadperl to resume work.

Dan